The following are Present Continuous Tense Examples in various forms which helps us to know various ways in which the tense is used in real-life communication. Before going to that, it is important to learn the structure and rules of present continuous tense.
Structure: Sub + is/am/are + Verb 1 (V1) + ing + Obj
The following are the helping verbs that are formed for the personal pronouns in the present continuous tense.
|Personal Pronoun||Helping Verb|
Present continuous tense is used to denote an action that is currently happening.
- I am currently working on a project.
- The teacher is writing on the blackboard.
- She is cooking
- That man is mowing the lawn.
- They are watching the picture.
Any action that is planned to happen in the near future is also written in the Present continuous tense.
- I am meeting my professor after this lecture.
- I am cooking my dinner tonight.
Forms of Present Continuous Tense
Like every tense, this tense also has four forms through which it can be expressed. The four are as follows:
Positive : Subject + is/am/are + V1 + ing + Object
Positive Interrogative : Is/am/are +Subject + V1 + ing + Object?
Negative : Subject + is/am/are + not + V1 + ing + Object
Negative Interrogative : Is/am/are + not + Subject + V1 + ing + Object?
If we take an example “He is walking on the pavement”, the four forms are as follows:
- He is walking on the pavement.
- Is he walking on the pavement?
- He is not walking on the pavement.
- Is he not walking on the pavement?
Some more examples of present continuous tense are as follows:
- They are watching a film together.
- The government is shutting down air travel.
- The teacher is going away.
- Scientists are researching for a cure to that disease.
- The cops are following that car.
- She is preparing dinner for the guests.
Exercise: Try to write the four forms of all the examples given above.