Hello reader! In this article, we are going to discuss the definition, rules, and some example sentences of Proper Nouns. There are eight parts of speech in the English language. A Noun is one of those parts of speech and is one of the basic elements to learn in the English language. We all know that the noun denotes the names of persons, places, things, collections, events, and groups, etc. There are various types of nouns such as proper nouns, collective nouns, common nouns, etc. Each type signifies a peculiar variety of nouns. Among them, proper nouns are one of the most important types of nouns.
Definition of Proper Nouns
Nouns that are used to name a specific person, a specific place, thing, a particular event, and a group are known as Proper Nouns. So, all names of people, the particular names of things and places come under this category. Secondly, if any noun has a specific name to it, it comes under the category of a proper noun.
In order to understand it easier, let us take the word “Barack Obama”. Well, Barack Obama comes under the category of noun since he is a man. However, the name of the man is given specifically. hence, Barack Obama comes under the category of a proper noun, and the word “man’ is a common noun.
Some more examples are: The World War II, Lake Superior, Sunday, Roger Federer, the NASA, etc.
Rule: The first letter of a proper noun should always be capitalized.
Lake Superior, Buckingham Palace, GT Road, the Nile River, the Andes Mountains, etc.
Examples of Proper Nouns in Sentences:
- I ordered a Dell Laptop Online.
- Canada is one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
- The Andes Mountains are home to rich flora and fauna.
- They are going shopping in the Inorbit Mall.
- Narendra Modi is one of the most powerful leaders in the world.
- I am craving Hyderabadi Biryani.
- I got accepted to Harvard Law.
- She is going to perform in the Central Auditorium.
- Napolean Bonaparte killed hundreds of people in fierce battles.
Follow us on Facebook to get a daily dose of Vocabulary.