Hello reader! In this article, we are going to discuss the definition, rules, and some example sentences of Common Nouns. We all know that a noun is one of the eight parts of speech and indicates the names of things, people, places, collections, etc. There are many types of nouns such as proper nouns, common nouns, collective nouns, etc. In this article, we’re going to have an in-depth discussion on common nouns. Also, we’re going to discuss the difference between a proper noun and a common noun.
Definition of Common Nouns
We all know what a noun is- anything that names a person, place, thing, or any collection. A Common noun is a type of noun that is used to denote any general item. For example, the things we see around us, such as a chair, a cup, a book, a pen, a TV- all these items are classified as common nouns. To put it simply, any common item that we see in everyday life comes under a common noun.
Some Examples of a common noun include:
- There is a dog lying on the footpath.
- Her husband is driving the car.
- I need a set of pens.
- There is a chair in the corner of the room.
- The basement is dark and eerie.
The above examples consisted of Common Nouns in the sentences. A proper noun is different from the common noun in the sense that the proper noun specifically addresses the noun instead of a general expression. For example,
- Dog is a common noun while Fido, the name of a dog is a proper noun.
- Husband is a common noun while Russell, the name of the husband, is a proper noun.
- Newspaper is a common noun while The Washington Post is a proper noun.
- Movie is a common noun while Titanic is a proper noun.
Learn more about the differences between the common noun and proper noun