Hello reader! In this exciting article, we’re going to discuss all the different types of nouns, their definitions, and ten Examples of Nouns of Various types. We all know that nouns are one of the parts of speech in the English language. There are many types of nouns that we use in daily communication. We’re going to discuss them in detail in this article.
Types and Examples of Nouns
The following are the definitions and examples of Nouns of various types. There are four major types of nouns. They are:
Proper Nouns – Definition and Examples
Proper nouns are the nouns that are used to name a specific person, a specific place, thing, a particular event, and a group. Examples of proper nouns include:
- Tom Hanks
- Peter Drucker
- The Washington Post
- Narendra Modi
- Barack Obama
- Marie Curie
- New York
- The Beatles
- World War II.
Example Sentences of Proper Nouns
- Donald Trump is the president of the United States.
- Australia is the smallest continent in the world.
- Warren Buffet is the richest person in the world.
- The Washington Post is an acclaimed newspaper.
- Napoleon Bonaparte was a military leader in France.
- Great Britain was a colonial power.
- World War II claimed thousands of lives.
- I ordered a Macbook from Amazon.
- Lake Superior is the largest freshwater lake in the world.
- We are going to Central Park for a walk.
Common Nouns – Definition and Examples
A Common noun is a type of noun that is used to denote any general item. For example, the things we see around us, such as a chair, a cup, a book, a pen, a TV- all these items are classified as common nouns. For example,
Example Sentences of Common Nouns
- The cat is under the bed.
- I need a set of pencils.
- The parking lot is eerie and scary.
- His wife is driving the car.
- The bed is in the other room.
- They are sitting on the couch and watching TV.
- The grass is greener on the other side.
- The road leads to the supermarket.
- The waterfall is a mile away.
- The fridge is not working.
Collective Nouns – Definition and Examples
Any noun that represents a specific group of people or things is called a Collective Noun. The examples of collective nouns are:
Example Sentences of Collective Nouns
- The committee convenes on Monday.
- The jury came to a decision.
- The legislature revoked that bill.
- That crowd of protestors is protesting against the banning of alcohol.
- There is a galaxy of stars in the sky.
- This road leads to a junction where you need to take a left.
- The gang of robbers looted the shopping mall.
- I have a packet of chocolates in my bag.
- That row of buildings belongs to that politician.
- His company is producing a new release next week.
Abstract Noun – Definition and Examples
Any noun is of two types: Something that is tangible (which can be touched and seen) and intangible (that which cannot be seen). The abstract nouns belong to the category of intangible nouns. They cannot be felt by any of the five senses such as things like feelings, ideas, concepts, perceptions, etc. Some examples of Abstract Nouns are:
Example Sentences of Abstract Nouns
- There is no security in this job.
- Pain and pleasure are part of life.
- There needs to be a sense of adventure for life to get exciting.
- Those protests unleashed total chaos in the city.
- His loyalty towards that party is surprising.
- I have a madness towards rap music.
- My strength is my hardworking nature.
- It is fun to hang out with friends once in a while.
- Shiela is gripped with anxiety on the eve of her examination results.
- Communism suppresses the basic human rights of the people.
These are some examples of Nouns of various types. Also, check these examples of sentences with Nouns of all the types
Read more on Nouns: