One of the common and basic questions anyone gets while starting to learn English grammar is: “Are names Nouns or Pronouns?” While it is easy to remember this basic rule in parts of speech, it is also important to remember the various types and examples of nouns. This article answers the question about whether names are nouns or not, discusses the types of names present in parts of speech, and provides enough examples so that it becomes easy to remember the names and their parts of speech.
Are Names Nouns or Pronouns?
To answer this question simply, YES! all names come under the category of nouns. All kinds of names such as the names of people, places, things, and various other names come under the category of nouns. Specifically, they are classified as “Proper Nouns”. Proper Nouns is one of the important categories of nouns, the other being common nouns, collective nouns, abstract nouns, etc.
What is a Proper Noun?
A proper noun is a noun that denotes the names of the people, things, places, etc. Any noun with a specific name to it can be classified as a proper noun. For example,
Barack Obama, the NASA, Pacific Ocean, Australia, etc.
The above examples are names of the nouns such as a person, an organization, an ocean, and a continent. Hence those names are categorized into proper nouns. However, words such as ‘person, organization, ocean, continent’ are common nouns. So to answer the question again: Are names Nouns? Absolutely Yes! All names are nouns. They belong to the category of proper nouns. Now let us look at some example sentences of some names.
Examples of the Names of Things
- I ordered a Dell Laptop online.
- They are going shopping at Costco.
- She is pursuing her law degree at Harvard University.
- I’m going to give my performance in Central Auditorium.
- He lost his Samsung phone in the shopping mall yesterday.
- French Toast is one of my favorite breakfasts.
Examples of the Names of People
- Narendra Modi, the prime minister of India, is one of the most powerful leaders in the world.
- Napolean Bonaparte was a powerful military commander in France.
- Leonardo DiCaprio won an Oscar for his performance in The Revenant.
- Manish missed his flight as he was stuck in traffic.
Examples of the Names of Places
- Jasper National Park is a beautiful place.
- They are flying to Abu Dhabi via Bengaluru tomorrow.
- The car has just reached the Pearson Airport.
- Take the fifth exit at the end of Richmond Street.
- New Delhi is one of the most populous cities in the world.
These are some of the examples of names of various kinds. Read here for more examples of names and their example sentences.