Hello reader! In this article, we are going to discuss the definition, rules, and some examples of Abstract Nouns and some example sentences of Abstract Nouns. We all know that there are eight parts of speech in the English language. A Noun is one of those parts of speech and is one of the basic elements to learn in the English language. We all know that the noun denotes the names of persons, places, things, collections, events, and groups, etc. There are various types of nouns such as proper nouns, collective nouns, common nouns, etc. Each type signifies a peculiar variety of nouns. Among them, Abstract nouns are one of the most important types of nouns.
Definition of Abstract Nouns
Any noun is of two types – Something that is tangible (which can be touched and seen) and intangible (that which cannot be seen). The abstract nouns belong to the category of intangible nouns. They cannot be felt by any of the five senses such as things like feelings, ideas, concepts, perceptions, etc.
Examples of Abstract Nouns
Example Sentences of Abstract Nouns
- The government‘s priority is the welfare of the people.
- His opponent’s victory sent shock waves across the country.
- Sam looked forward to that day with excitement.
- Faithfulness is a virtue that should be practiced.
- The judges showed bias while deciding who the winner is.
- Ram’s improvement in the English language over the years has been unbelievable.
- The crowds watched in awe and disbelief, at the brilliant display of excellence by that sportsman.
- Curiosity is a virtue that needs to be developed.
Read 10 example Sentences of all types of Noun Sentences
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for daily doses of Vocabulary